A lawn edger is a must-have for any professional or amateur landscaper alike. Lawn edgers are the simplest and most efficient way to clean up the places around your lawn that a standard lawn mower simply cannot do. Places like sidewalks, gravel, flowerbeds, sand and other unique terrains will muck up a lawn mower or dull its blades, causing more hassle than it is worth. Lawn edgers also frequently are able to double up as a landscape trencher for mulching, installing a dog fence or adding in solar lights on your walk-up. By using a lawn edger, you can achieve crisp, clean lines that will make your lawn the envy of the neighborhood. I have taken it upon myself to review some of the best lawn edgers available on the market today in order to help any potential buyers make a more informed decision.
Best Lawn Edger
BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher
Top Features of the BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher
I work long hours during the summer with my part-time mowing and landscaping business. Some weeks I only have a few hours on the weekends that I have to work, but other weeks I have a nearly full schedule. That said, I need a lawn edger powerful enough to keep up with me, no matter how long I intend to use it for. The BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher provides me with more than enough power to get the job done every time. The motor inside of this lawn edger is an 11 Amp, 2.25 horsepower motor. It gives me up to 150 in-pounds of torque and doesn’t weaken or slow down, no matter the duration in which I am using it for. This lets me get more work done and helps me make more money per day.
Convenient and Versatile
The BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher not only serves as a powerful lawn edger, it can be used as a landscape trencher, too. This makes my work even more efficient and allows me to use it to edge more diverse surfaces, letting me say yes to any client’s needs. This lawn edger features a pull up edge guide that easily transforms this tool into a landscape trencher. I can safely use it against materials that otherwise might make me nervous and lets me cut grooves where I need them. The BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher also features a built-in cord retention system that keeps the extension cord out of the way and secure from getting caught in the lawn edger. This is definitely the best lawn edger in terms of flexible usage and convenience.
Simple to Install
Another great thing about the BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher is the fact that setting it up is a breeze. With this lawn edger, I did not have to break out the toolbox in order to assemble it. All of the parts that I needed to set it up with came included in the package so I could just take it out of the box and put it together. It took me no time at all when I had set aside a few hours to put it together just to be safe. Since it took me a fraction of that time, I was back to work quickly. Not only is it simple to assemble, but once I have it set up once, it is slim and stable enough for me to easily pack it into my trailer to take with me on the job without worrying about a bumpy ride messing it up.
Finally, the BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher comes with three different positions of blade depth adjustment that puts me in complete control of the work I’m doing. Whether I am working on edging grass or overgrowth or trying to install invisible dog fences or outdoor lighting, I can choose exactly what the edger is doing. I feel that it is also worth mentioning that this edger and trencher features both a right and left handed assistance handle that gives me incredible flexibility and great leverage to ensure I am getting the right angle every time.
- 2-in-1 functionality serves as a lawn edger and a landscape trencher
- 3 blade positions for choice of the cutting depth
- Built-in cord retention
- Left and right handed handle
- Powerful 11 Amp, 2.25 Horsepower motor with 150 in-pounds of torque
- Simple and quick to assemble with no tools required
- Sealed motor. I have noticed that the BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher features a motor that cannot be accessed by me. I hardly consider this a downside as I have not yet been disappointed by its capacity or ability to work as designed, but some do like to access the motor for lubricating the motor bearings on occasion.
Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle
Top Features of the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle
Durable and Strong
As I mentioned before, one of the most important things that I look for when seeking out the best lawn edger to help me perform at my best with my mowing and landscaping business has got to be its durability. I need something that can work for hours on end without disappointment, and the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle definitely heeds the call. This lawn edger features a 48-inch handle that is the perfect height for me and makes it incredibly comfortable to use because of it. The strong handle of the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle is made out of North American ash that has been given a lacquered finish, promising to stand up to the test of even the most frequent usage during hectic summer months.
Manual Edger for Greater Precision
One of the things I love about manual lawn edgers is the fact that they do not seem to have a mind of their own like some other lawn edgers do. What I mean by this is that gas or electrical powered motors often do not come with adjustable speeds or the like, making it so the blades get a little ahead of themselves and may cut off more than what I’d wanted. This Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle is a very convenient edger for that reason. I can move it as swiftly or as slowly as I want to, to get the desired results. This also means that I never have to worry about the extension cord of an electrical edger not reaching the extent of the property in which I need it to, nor do I need to concern myself with the edger running out of fuel while I am in the middle of a job. Because of this, I can save money on gas as well.
If I want my edger to last me as long as possible, it is also going to need to possess remarkably strong blades. After all, after hours of usage, usually daily, for weeks on end, the blades are going to become dull. This is especially true if I am using them in thick underbrush or just general overgrowth from a property that has not been landscaped in quite some time. The Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle features fantastically durable blade heads. These blades have a clear-coated gray steel finish that not only looks great but functions even better. Because of these strong, sharp blades, I have not yet once had to stop and sharpen them, even after using the edger on the most trying of properties.
Simple to Clean
Finally, because it is such a simplistic build, cleaning the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle is a breeze. With other types of lawn edgers such as ones that are fuel or electrical based, I can’t get them very wet. This makes cleaning the blades a hassle as I need to get under the hood and manually remove brush and grass from the blades. This lawn edger is different. All that I need to do in order to clean the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle is spray it clean with a simple garden hose thanks to the coat that has a silicone spray to stop any sort of water damage from occurring. Plus, it has none of the aforementioned issues of inner parts that could get ruined when wet.
- Durable blades that do not become dull easily
- Lacquered finish
- Manual edger
- Simple to spray clean with a garden hose
- Strong handle made from North American ash
- Weight. Some online reviews of the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel and Ash Handle have made complaints about how much this lawn edger weighs. I find that it is a comfortable weight for me and does not tire me out quickly, so I think that this is all a matter of opinion. Besides, I feel as if the weight assists in an accurate cut as it puts a little more force behind my push.
WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger
Top Features of the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger
No two properties that I landscape during the summer are the same. Some of them simply need a nice edge around the flowerbeds or sidewalks and consist of short, well-kept grass that makes it a breeze to buzz through. Other lawns haven’t been touched in a season or two and present me with the challenge of handling massive instances of undergrowth and thistles. Some just need a quick trenching to help install small fences for dogs or to help with the installation of solar lighting and torches. With the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger, I can do it all. It features a powerful 12 Amp motor that never weakens, no matter how long I use it or on what sort of terrain I need to use it on, whether I am edging or making trenches. I can even do so to my exact specifications, which leads me to my next point.
Ultimate Precision Cuts
With the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger, I get the option between three separate blade positions. These unique positions give me the choice of the blade depth which is not only great for taking on different thicknesses of grass and overgrowth, but it helps me choose the right depth for my trenches as well, as each job requires a different level to accomplish the end goal of installation of different structures. The WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger even comes with a cutting line indicator that helps me ensure I am edging only exactly what I want to cut and not a grass blade more for perfect lines every time. This not only provides me with cleaner lines, but more defined trenches as well that make the rest of the landscaping work easier and more efficient.
Fully Adjustable Shaft
One of my biggest gripes about lawn edgers is the fact that many of them are not very comfortable. They get the job done, yes, but at the end of my work day, I am often left with strained shoulders and a pained back because of the way I have to bend and hunch over in order to use them properly. I do not have this issue with the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger. This lawn edger and trencher comes with a shaft that is fully adjustable to ensure I am comfortable, no matter how many hours I am working on any given day. I don’t have to ruin my posture and make my muscles sore to get my work done which also seems to allow me to work more quickly due to the efficiency this lends me. This feature alone makes the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger the best lawn edger for comfort in my opinion.
Speaking of comfort, I want to touch upon the handle of the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger. Another one of the issues I have with some other lawn edgers is the fact that their handles don’t provide me with much give. This can make it difficult to maneuver the edger in the way that I need to in order to ensure a clean and proper cut. With the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger, I get a pivoting handle. This gives me an easy grip and sheer control over the direction in which I am edging or trenching.
- 3 unique blade positions to control depth of trenches
- Cutting line indicator for precise lines
- Fully adjustable strap for comfort and better posture
- Pivoting handle for ultimate control and comfort
- Powerful 12 Amp motor
- Cord holder. Some online reviews of the WORX WG896 12 Amp 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger have noted that using thicker cords may make wrapping up the cords onto the designated cord holder difficult. Thickly made cords do seem to have trouble staying on, but I tested this holder with a few different sizes and unless you are using an extra thick extension cord, this won’t be an issue.
BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger
Top Features of the BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger
With the BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger, I have noticed that I have to spend less time cutting than ever before. This trimmer and edger features what the company calls a PowerDrive Transmission. This unique transmission works to pull in more power from the motor to the cutting strings without draining the batteries which is great for swift and efficient working. That said, if I am engaged in a project that is going to take me a long time, I can be certain that I am not going to run out of power, either, even if I am using more of the motor’s power at once. This turns the BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger into a truly versatile trimmer and edger that lets me take it out on a number of different jobs to ensure that I can always get my work done, no matter what that entails.
I mentioned the long run time a minute ago, so I want to elaborate on that just a bit. The BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger features what they call the Runtime Extension Technology. By using this trimmer and edger, I am getting all of the benefits of a dual motor accelerator just by flipping a switch. The accelerator can be engaged for two purposes. The first purpose is to help cut through thicker grass and growth so that I am not slowed down in my work simply because the amount of grass or brush has elevated. I can cut through thin blades of grass and thick underbrush without using any excessive force on the latter, making it simple to walk through my path without having to slow down to tackle bigger growths. This also makes more efficient use out of the motor so that it runs for an exceptionally long time.
Automatic Feed Spool
When the cutting string begins to wear down and become shorter, I don’t have to stop, turn off the motor and manually get more out to continue my work. Instead, the Automatic Feed Spool in the BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger will feed out more of the cutting string as the need arises all on its own, helping perpetuate that ease of use and continuous motion that I mentioned earlier.
Long Lasting Lithium Batteries
Finally, I want to touch on the batteries inside of the BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger as they are what powers the trimmer and edger. This unit comes with two 2 amp per hour lithium battery packs as well as a charger that fits them. Each of these battery packs gives up to 33 percent of a greater capacity than the typical LBXR20 batteries often used in these types of mowers. Because of the amount of power that they give out, I have noticed that not only is the BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger running more smoothly and efficiently than a lot of the other lawn edgers that I have tried out, they run for much longer, too. These batteries coupled with the Runtime Extension Technology affords me all of the time that I could possibly need to ensure that the job I am doing is done according to my client’s precise and unique needs.
- 2 Amp-per-hour lithium battery packs with charger that gives 33 percent longer life to trimmer and edger
- Automatic feed spool keeps the string coming as it gets shorter to prevent the need for manual intervention
- Dual accelerator switch offers more power when needed
- PowerDrive Transmission delivers more power from the motor to the cutting strings for efficient performance
- Runtime Extension Technology extends the life of the trimmer and edger
- 10 hour battery charging. One of the things that may be considered by the user of the BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger is the long battery charging time. I hardly consider this a downside because I can simply let it charge overnight while I sleep and it is ready to go in the morning when I need it.
GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger
Top Features of the GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger
In order to ensure a clean and accurate cut, I need a lawn edger that can withstand long periods of use without reducing the amount of power it is giving me. The GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger is powerful enough to provide me with this, letting me spend as much time as I need perfecting the lawn of the client I am servicing. This lawn edger has a 12 Amp motor that provides plenty of power to the blades to ensure that I am making the most of my time and not straining to cut thick growth that a weaker motor might not be able to handle, or one that might slow down due to the excess.
Another reason that the GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger is able to handle any sort of growth I may encounter is the thick and durable blade that it comes equipped with. The blade measures a nice 7.5 inches in size and is double edged as well, making sure that I am not missing out on any of my targeted grass. It provides a clean and swift cut, no matter how thick the material that I am edging might be. This also gives me the peace of mind of knowing that I am going to get plenty of usage out of the GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger without having to sharpen my blades, making this perhaps the best lawn edger in terms of longevity.
Changeable Blade Depth
Not only is this blade ultra sharp and sturdy, it features the ability to change its depth at any time. The GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger comes with a spring assisted front wheel that lets me change out the depth of the blade with almost no effort at all. Not only does this provide me with a more efficient cutting experience overall, it reduces the time I usually have to spend adjusting my lawn edgers to fit my needs at the time, allowing me to get my work done much more swiftly.
If I am going to be working long hours in the summer as I often do, the last thing I want to worry about is getting stuck in the sweltering summer heat for too long, which is uncomfortable on its own. The GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger features an adjustable auxiliary handle that gives me the ultimate control over my lawn edger, furthering the precision benefits that the adjustable blades already offer. This also provides me with immeasurable comfort that takes away some of the strain and stress I would otherwise put on my body in order to push around an uncomfortable edger.
Running over the blades on most electrical lawn edgers is a concern that I often have. If I nick the cord, that is usually the end of my ability to use it. I do not have that problem with the GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger! This lawn edger features a cord that comes out of the tall handle itself instead of coming out near the bottom, making sure that I am always keeping the cord away from the ground and thereby away from the blades. Alongside being able to always keep my eye on the cord placement, it comes with an integrated cord locking feature that stops me from accidentally disconnecting the lawn edger from the power source which helps me get the job done more quickly. Every detail counts and this company apparently knows that.
- 12 Amp motor for excellent power
- Adjustable auxiliary handle that lends great control and comfort
- Cord placement at the top of the edger instead of the bottom
- Locking cord mechanism to prevent accidental disconnection
- Spring assisted front wheel that makes changing the blade depth a breeze
- Weight. A couple of the online reviews of the GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger stated that they were not impressed with the weight of the GreenWorks 27032 12 Amp Corded Edger. I find that using a heavier edger makes things simpler to control. With the additional weight, I don’t have to worry about the lawn edger accidentally getting pushed forward too much in my enthusiasm and causing me to cut a line into the lawn that I did not want to cut.
Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment
Top Features of the Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment
Durable and Tough Gear Box
In order to get the most out of my lawn edgers, I need something that can withstand all sorts of lawns, from thin blades of grass to thick, unattended property growths that haven’t been touched in a while. The Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment provides me with more than enough strength, durability and power to get this accomplished. I can take on any client’s yard, no matter how bad it may have gotten thanks to the gearbox’s heavy duty capabilities. This allows me to perform efficient work no matter where I go, and even if their properties range from simple to cut to thick and dense, the blade moves through them like butter so that I never have to stop and make adjustments to suit my needs. This makes me more efficient and helps me finish the job more quickly so that I can move onto my other work.
Safe and Strong Blades
The Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment has put thought into this attachment. Blades on lawn edges are obviously sharp, and even if I am not having to bend down to mess around with the gear box itself, I can still put myself at risk by letting my feet get too close to the blade from carelessness. I do not have to worry about it with this lawn edger as it comes with a barrier handlebar intended to prevent any accidents of the sort. The blades are as durable and as sharp as they are safe, measuring 7 inches of solid steel. The steel blades, as mentioned, work wonders on any type of yard, and because of their durability, they fill me with the peace of mind that comes with knowing I will not have to waste time sharpening them until I have used them for quite some time.
Easily Attaches to Other Trimmers
The best thing about the Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment outside of its effectiveness has to be its versatility. With this attachment, I can fit it onto most any popular brand with detachable shafts. Brands that I have tried this attachment on include other Poulan brands versions PPB100 & PPB300, Homelite, Ryobi, Craftsman, John Deere, Snapper and Weed Eater. This allows me to pick my favorite shaft that is most comfortable for my height and use it, along with the choice of handles that fit my hand the best and give me the most control. In addition, changing out the attachments is easy which leads me on to my next point.
30-Seconds to Switch Out Attachments
Attaching the Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment to another shaft of the compatible brands is one of the easiest things I have ever done. All it takes to install this attachment is to click it into place. There are no tools needed whatsoever and no screws to mess around with and potentially lose. I simply press the Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment into the opening onto my favorite shaft and I am ready to get to work in under a minute which I find very impressive and efficient.
- 7 inch steel blades
- Attaches to popular lawn trimmers such as Weed Eater, Craftsman, John Deere and More
- Durable, long-lasting and powerful gearbox
- Versatile and cheap lawn edger attachment
- Blade replacement. I have noticed while browsing reviews online for the Poulan PP1000E 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment that it is not a simple task to replace the blades on this attachment on one’s own. That said, these reviewers also stated that their blades lasted an average of 4 years before needing a change, so this is hardly an issue. When it comes time to change the blades, take it to a professional to avoid this issue. This should hardly deter a purchase, as this will only need to happen less than twice a decade.
I chose the BLACK+DECKER LE750 Edge Hog 2-1/4 HP Electric Landscape Edger and Trencher as the winner of this roundup for a number of reasons. I love the fact that turning it into a landscape trencher is as simple as pulling up the edge guide. It features a 11 Amp, 2.25 Horsepower motor with 150 in-pounds of torque that can get any job done quickly and simply, making me more efficient at work. This lawn edger took no tools in order to set it up, and its cord retention made it simple to keep track of my cord so I don’t run over it or accidentally unplug it. All in all, I recommend this to the landscaper who wants an efficient and clean lawn all season long.
Benefits of Purchasing a Lawn Edger
– Sharp lines. A lawn edger is perfect for creating that perfectly separated look between the end of your sidewalk or driveway and the start of your lawn. Using a lawn edger against these types of materials ensures that you aren’t accidentally hitting your lawn mower’s blades on the damaging material, hurting your mower or even causing personal injury. Lawn edgers are the most effective way at cleaning up tall grass and other materials that are hanging over your driveway.
– Trenching. If you are interested in digging small trenches in order to install outdoor lighting to your walkway or driveway, a lawn edger can typically do that. They can dig small trenches that are the perfect size for installing such items without having to get down on your hands and knees with a gardening shovel. The shovel method can also cause leveling discrepancies that might make installing lights a difficult task.
– Long lasting, powerful and efficient. Lawn edgers can handle any sort of job from thick growths to thin blades of grass, and they can do so for long periods of time.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Lawn Edger
– Durable blades. Look for blades that are made of steel and are rugged enough that they will not need sharpening for long periods of time.
– Electric, gas or manual? Manual lawn edgers are often lighter and give you more freedom of movement and a greater range of use but come at the price of more labor exertion. Gas and electric lawn edgers do the work automatically but can run out of gas or become unplugged and are generally a bit more expensive than manual ones.
Tips on How to Buy the Right Lawn Edger for Your Needs
– Choose a lawn edger with a powerful motor to ensure that you are getting enough power to cut through any sort of botanical materials your landscaping challenge might present.
– Decide if you want a lawn edger that can transform into a landscape trencher.
– Read online reviews such as the detailed ones below to see how your prospective lawn edger is when put to the test.