Lawn sweepers are an efficient and back-saving alternative to rakes when it comes to sweeping up debris in your yard.
The benefits of buying a lawn sweeper
The main benefit of buying a lawn sweeper is that it’s faster and more efficient than raking—and it’s a lot easier on your back and overall body as well.
The real benefit, though, is for those who have large properties. For people in that category, it’s close to impossible to manually rake, which is where a lawn sweeper really is a life-saver. Additionally, a good lawn sweeper will sweep up tricky debris like sticky gumballs and hickory nuts—and it can be used in tandem with your mower to catch lawn clippings as you mow, making it the ultimate versatile tool for large properties everywhere.
Tips on how to choose the best lawn sweeper for your needs
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the best lawn sweeper for your needs. Consider the following:
- Push style lawn sweepers are best for small properties and yards.
- Always go with a tow style lawn sweeper if you have a large property, because a push style would be impractical in your case.
- Opt for a high-quality lawn sweeper when your needs go beyond simply picking up dry grass clippings.
- Remember that wide brush paths lead to greater time efficiency.
- Likewise, keep in mind that large hopper capacities also lead to greater efficiency.
Lawn Sweeper Reviews
Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch
Large capacity hopper
The large capacity hopper is made out of mesh and holds 25 cubic feet of material, which means it holds twice as much (or more) as your standard 2-bin bagger. As a result, you don’t have to empty the Agri-Fab’s hopper as often as you would a bagger, cutting down the time it takes to get rid of leaves and debris on your property by half.
Improved dump lever
The Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch, features an improved metal dump lever over previous models; the result is that you never have to leave the seat of the tractor to empty the hopper, further boosting your yard maintenance efficiency.
Brush height adjustment lever
The brush height adjustment lever on the 45-0492 from Agri-Fab is pull-button operated, so that adjusting for optimal brush height is a breeze.
Patented Offset Hitch
With the Agri-Fab’s patented offset hitch, you can easily adjust the hitch to the center or side, thereby allowing for simultaneous mowing and sweeping in one pass, without the need for extra tools or complicated adjustments.
Despite the large 25 cubic feet capacity of the hopper, it has a very small storage footprint. This is because the hopper and sweeper tongue are collapsible—without the need of tools—and fold up, fitting in even the most compact garage spaces.
The Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch, makes an impressive entrance straight out of the box, but even more so assembled. (For obvious reasons.) Assembly only took about an hour—I didn’t time it, so I don’t know exactly, but it wasn’t long at all, but it was very straightforward and mainly just involved some nuts and bolts. The instructions are pretty great as well, which sped along the process—and they come with pictures.
It’s easy to attach the Agri-Fab 44-Inch to your tractor, and I like that it has semi-pneumatic wheels, because it makes what would otherwise be a chore in and of itself pretty effortless. Additionally, the brush height adjustment was really simple to make, which is a good thing for me, because I find different parts of my property need different settings.
I was pleasantly surprised that the dump lever was made of metal. I’ve even seen some brands have levers of rope; the metal is not only more durable, but it just feels easier to use, which is a plus when you have a lot of acreage to maintain. Even better is that Agri-Fab’s claim about being able to operate the dump lever from your tractor seat is, as it turns out, totally true. This was also a pleasant surprise. I love anything that makes my chores more efficient.
Speaking of efficiency, the 25 cubic feet hopper capacity is pretty perfect for my needs. I have a lot of land and I only had to offload a handful of times—far more efficient than the old bin I was using.
The sweeping itself is pretty darn good. When I was researching the 45-0492, I saw different people making different speed recommendations in regard to sweeping; some said go fast, others said go slow. I found that once the load gets heavy, going no faster than a moderate pace not only makes more sense from a physics standpoint, it just feels “right”. That’s to say this is a flimsy tool—far from it; it actually feels highly durable. Rather, it’s just the whole hitched-to-the tractor issue as opposed to a design flaw. I only recommend going faster than moderate if you have a light load, but I honestly don’t think going fast makes that much of a difference with filling the hopper.
I also mowed while sweeping and found it very simple to accomplish with the Agri-Fab’s offset hitch, and for that, it certainly is a fine piece of equipment for that kind of multitasking.
Also true to claim is how easy it stores, thanks to its foldability and small footprint. Overall, I had a positive experience with the Agri-Fab 45-0492.
What to like about the Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch:
- Made in Sullivan, Illinois, USA
- 3-year warranty for residential use
- Tow-style sweeper
- 44-inch sweeper width
- 25 cubic feet capacity hopper holds twice as much as 2-bin bagger
- Hopper is made from durable mesh construction
- Hopper is easy to remove thanks to spring-loaded release
- Durable brushes with easy brush height adjustment
- Brushes are safe to use on all grass types
- Height adjustable hitch
- Patented offset hitch allows for simultaneous mowing and sweeping
- Metal dump lever is operable without leaving your tractor
- Foldable and collapsible for easy storage—no need for tools
- Small storage footprint when folded
- Easy to assemble—only two nuts and bolts
- Easy to use and operate
What to consider:
- The Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch, weighs 92.6lbs. While the weight may be a little intimidating, the good news is that it does have semi-pneumatic wheels, so it can be rolled to your tractor and back into the garage if necessary.
Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper, 42-Inch
42-inch sweeper width
The extra-wide 42-inch sweeper width allows you to sweep wide swaths of land in fewer passes, upping your time efficiency. Despite the wide width, it remains easily maneuverable behind your tractor.
6 high velocity brushes
The 6 high velocity brushes on the Brinly STS-427LXH allows for maximum debris and leaf pickup, ensuring that your sweeping is both efficient and effective with each pass.
20 cubic feet hamper capacity
The hamper (aka the hopper) has a 20 cubic feet capacity, which means you don’t have to stop to empty it as often as you would a standard small bin, which saves you a lot of time and hassle.
Can be used while mowing
More and more people are looking for the convenience and efficiency of a sweeper that can be used simultaneously while moving, and the Brinly STS-427LXH 42-Inch Lawn Sweeper definitely falls into that category. Picking up fresh mown grass is as easy as picking up leaves.
The Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper, 42-Inch makes an intimidating impression out of the box. Mainly because it’s not completely assembled. However, once you take a deep breath and realize there are instructions—in diagram form—as well as the included necessary parts segmented into their own little compartments on arrival, it makes the whole thing a lot easier. I was able to put it together in less than two hours. (A word for the wise: After I assembled mine, I heard there was a YouTube video put out by the company than further simplifies things, though I haven’t seen it.)
The Brinly sweeper hands surprisingly well on rugged terrain. Additionally, I thought it picked up both leaves and grass remarkably well. Sometimes, some sweepers will do one better than the other, but the Brinly does both, which is definitely appreciated for those of us who have large property and therefore diverse needs.
I think the brushes are top notch. Height adjust is set to increments, and it’s easy to accomplish. I found I didn’t have to go over anything a second time, but I can see how that might be different for different people in different weather conditions.
The Brinly works surprisingly well while simultaneously mowing, which is one of the top things I look for in a good sweeper, since that’s how I most often use them. Additionally, not having to empty the hopper that often really cut down on my chore time. All in all, it was a good experience.
What to like about the Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper, 42-Inch:
- Made in the USA
- 90-day limited warranty
- 42-inch wide sweeping path
- 20 cubic feet hamper/hopper capacity
- 6-high velocity brushes
- Works great while mowing
- Good on steep terrain
- Easy to use and operate
What to consider:
- There is assembly required; additionally, the instructions are in diagram form with only a short description of the step depicted. This is good if you’re a visual person, but not so much if you prefer detailed, written instructions. This is more of a preference thing than a universal con, however.
- Putting the tension rods during assembly on may be difficult for those with mobility issues or a lack of strength in the hands/arms. That said, this won’t be a problem for most, but is worth putting out there nonetheless.
Agri-Fab 45-0320 42-Inch Tow Lawn Sweeper
42-inch wide sweeper brushes
The Agri-Fab 45-0320’s sweeper brushes measure 42 inches wide; with such a wide sweeping path, you can sweep your lawn in less time, resulting in a great efficiency boost for your outdoor chore session.
Easy to adjust brush height
The brush height is easy to adjust, which allows you to get the maximum effect out of the sweeper without overworking your yard in the process. This is also an ideal feature for those who have a large property with varying brush height needs throughout.
12 cubic feet hopper capacity
The 12 cubic feet hopper capacity combines with the 42-inch wide sweeper brushes to create a more time efficient lawn sweeper; because you have to dump the hopper contents less often, you save a lot of time.
The dump lever can be easily operated right from your tractor seat thanks to the rope release mechanism, further upping your lawn sweeping efficiency.
The Agri-Fab 45-0320 lawn sweeper folds up for easy storage, and the storage footprint is small, so it can easily be stored in garages and sheds that are low on space.
The Agri-Fab 45-0320 is one of the smaller lawn sweepers I’ve tried, so I was particularly interested to see how it handled and what its limits were.
First, let me say smaller doesn’t mean less sturdy. Far from it, it felt just as sturdy and durable as a much larger lawn sweeper, which seemed to bode well.
One of the big benefits about the smaller, 12 cubic foot hopper is that it’s extremely easy to maneuver on difficult terrain. Lawn sweepers in generally can be finicky to handle on inclines and turns, but this sweeper followed behind my tractor just fine.
For some reason, I expected its ability to sweep to be impeded, I guess, because it’s smaller in size, but that was a ridiculous assumption on my part. In fact, it handled pine needles and acorns alike just as easily as other good quality lawn sweepers I’ve tried.
To me, the only downside of this model is that the smaller hopper size requires you to empty it more often if you have a large property with a lot of sweeper needs like I do. That said, if your property is smaller or you don’t have a ton of trees, this sweeper would be ideal, because it does a lot quite handily.
It should be noted that the storability of this model is primo, not only because it has a small hopper, but also because it’s collapsible. If you are low on space, that would definitely be a point in favor of the 45-0320.
What to like about the Agri-Fab 45-0320 42-Inch Tow Lawn Sweeper:
- Made in Sullivan, Illinois, USA
- 3-year limited consumer warranty
- Holds much more than a standard bagger
- Durable stamped steel frame construction
- Windscreen prevents debris blowback
- Semi-pneumatic wheels
- Easy to maneuver
- Capable of picking up larger/trickier debris like spiky gumballs
- Release rope dump lever enables debris dumping without leaving tractor seat
- Easy to store: collapsible, small storage footprint
- Trailer hitch pin included for convenience
- Weighs 77lbs, lighter in weight than many lawn sweepers of this style
What to consider:
- People are generally dissatisfied with the instruction manual (which is included). That said, this issue is isolated only to this particular sweeper model and not all other Agri-Fab sweepers. Why that is, who can say? But if you otherwise like this lawn sweeper, I highly suggest looking online for videos if you’re having trouble putting it together—and many do like it once they assemble it, it should be noted.
- It likely won’t work optimally if you aren’t careful with getting the correct brush height, but this is only to be expected in those incidences. For most who only need one brush height, this won’t be an issue.
Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper, 50″/26 cu. ft.
50-inch sweeper width
The ultra-wide 50-inch sweeper brush width is one of the widest on the market in lawn sweepers of this class currently available. This is ideal for those who have huge properties or value high efficiency, due to the fact that you simply make less passes while sweeping than you would with a smaller brush width. The brushes themselves are made of Ohio Steel’s patented and exclusive 11-inch spiraled polypropylene construction.
26 cubic feet hopper capacity
The 26 cubic feet hopper capacity ensures better time efficiency while sweeping your lawn, because you don’t have to empty it as often as a result. This is perfect for the 50-inch brush width which is so wide, it demands a large capacity hopper like this one.
Extra-wide 9-inch chute
The extra-wide 9-inch chute on the Pro Sweeper prevents the high capacity 50-inch brushes—and the extra-large amount of debris they sweep up—from clogging the shoot, thus all swept up material ends up in the hopper, where it belongs.
For extra durability as well as improved movement, the ball bearings on the brush axle are sealed.
The hopper is easy to remove and collapses to a small storage footprint, so even if your garage is packed full of other equipment, you’ll be able to find a place for the Pro Sweeper to nest.
Ohio Steel’s Pro Sweeper is on the large side as far as lawn sweepers go, which is great for large properties.
Assembly was a lot easier than I expected—it took well under an hour, and I think even if you’re not used to assembling sweepers, you’ll still be able to get the hang of it, because the instructions are on point and assembly isn’t super complicated.
One of the biggest draws—and pros—of the Pro Sweeper is the huge 50-inch wide sweeper brush path. Because the path is so wide, you get a lot of work done in far less time than you would with a narrower sweeper. Additionally, the brushes seem to be pretty-top notch. I found that sweeping was super-effective, with very little debris—if any—left behind. (But, as always, to achieve this level of success/thoroughness, adjusting brush height is important—though that isn’t difficult, and is always recommended no matter which sweeper you go with.)
The 26 cubic feet hopper capacity works well in tandem with the ultra-wide 50-inch sweeper brush. A sweeper brush that wide naturally demands a larger hopper, and the large hopper on the Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper definitely rises to meet that intense level of demand. You truly don’t have to empty the hopper as often as you think you would when operating such a wide sweeper, which is definitely good for efficiency.
You might think that such a large sweeper would be extremely hard to wield, but that’s not the case. It even does well with a zero-turn radius mower. If you’re driving over uneven land, you’re naturally going to have a less smooth experience, but it isn’t unmanageable. I have a lot of uneven land, and using common sense while driving, I felt perfectly in control of the sweeper.
If I could change one thing about the Pro Sweeper, I’d make the hopper out of a thicker and/or stronger material. I want to stress that I, personally, have not had problems with it. Rather, this was something that kept popping up while doing my research. But with that noted, for my particular needs, the Ohio Steel Pro Sweeper has been going strong after a month of steady use.
What to like about the Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper, 50″/26 cu. ft.:
- Made in the USA
- 3-year limited warranty
- 50-inch wide sweeper width, one of the widest on the market of this sweeper class
- 26 cubic foot hopper capacity, also one of the largest of its class
- Overall high-capacity sweeper, perfect for large properties with heavy sweeper needs
- Works well with zero-turn mowers
- Hitch pin included
- Easy to store: Easily removed, collapsible hopper with small storage footprint
- Sealed ball bearings on brush axles
- Ohio Steel-patented spiraled polypropylene brush construction
- Ultra-wide sweeper chute prevents clogging
- Suitable for picking up tricky debris like hickory nuts and walnuts
- Easy assembly
What to consider:
- The main issue with the Ohio Steel offering is the hopper itself. Unlike other hoppers that are often made with a metallic mesh construction, this one is made from fabric. The downside of this is that if you’re picking up sharp or really heavy debris, it might eventually break on you. However, if your main sweeping application is grass, leaves and things of a similar nature, this issue won’t really apply to you, since in your case, the hopper bag won’t really be under stress. Ohio Steel seems to be aware of this hopper bag-wearing issue, as they have been known to send customers replacement hoppers/bags, so if you own the Pro Sweeper and have experienced this, simply call them for a replacement bag, and they will likely honor it—especially when you consider the 3-year limited warranty that comes with your purchase.
Yardwise 23630-YW Sweep It 21-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper
Push style lawn sweeper
Unlike the tow style lawn sweepers, push lawn sweepers have the advantage of being an all-in-one unit that doesn’t require a tractor or mower to operate. This is ideal for smaller properties that don’t own and have no need for tractors but still have a need to pick up pine needles and other debris. Additionally, the Yardwise 23630-YW Sweep It is a lightweight push lawn sweeper, so it’s easy to use.
21-inch wide sweeping path
The 21-inch sweeper path is nice and oversized or a push lawn sweeper, ensuring you can sweep your yard in far fewer passes than you would otherwise.
26-gallon hopper capacity
While the 26-gallon hopper capacity isn’t much compared to the tow-style lawn sweepers, it’s pretty impressive for a push lawn sweeper. Additionally, it’s more than enough capacity to meet the needs of owners of smaller properties with no more than a few acres.
Adjustable height settings
The height settings on the Sweep It easily adjust to meet the specific needs of your lawn.
The Sweep It from Yardwise folds and hangs so storage is a breeze—even in tight spaces.
The Yardwise Sweep It is a push style lawn sweeper, so it’s important not know that it’s very different from the tow style lawn sweepers in this roundup going in. Essentially, it operates much like a push mower, except it sweeps instead of mows.
This isn’t the ideal sweeper for someone with a large property like me. But if you have a small property, it’s a very handy little sweeper. It’s very easy to use and does a good job. It picks up hickory nuts and pine needles very well and you can’t beat how lightweight it is. All-in-all, the perfect sweeper for a small property.
What to like about the Yardwise 23630-YW Sweep It 21-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper:
- Easy to operate push style sweeper
- 21-inch wide sweeper path
- 26-gallon hopper capacity great for small property
- Handles difficult debris like hickory nuts
- Lightweight at just 12lbs
- Easy to store
- Easy assembly
What to consider:
- The big disadvantage with Yardwise’s Push Lawn Sweeper is its small 26-gallon hopper bag, which amounts to only 3.5 cubic feet capacity. However, while this is a bad thing for large properties, it’s more than adequate for smaller ones, so this isn’t going to be a big deal if you have a small property with only a couple of acres or a standard size residential lot.
- Unlike some of the other sweepers on the roundup, it’s made in China instead of the USA. This is only a problem if you exclusively buy American-made products, but it’s worth noting for those who do.
Ultimately, a clear winner of this roundup quickly emerged: The Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch. It takes the cake because not only is it well-built and efficient, it’s easy to assemble and operate as well. It’s the best at picking up tricky debris and it’s also top dog when it comes to simultaneous mowing and sweeping, making it the clear first choice of the roundup.