Best Lopper 2017
A lopper is an efficient way to trim and to prune trees, bushes and other instances of dense growth on your property. A lopper provides a harmonization between manual exertion and mechanics to provide crisp, clean long lasting cuts that will remove branches once and for all. Most loppers can cut branches from 1.5 inches up to 2.5 inches, depending on the brand you are using. The right lopper will be comfortable enough for extended use, promising that you are able to prune every tree and bush on your property to ensure your lawn is the talk of the neighborhood. I have gone ahead and tested out a few of what I consider to be some of the best loppers out there and given each one a thorough review, one that perhaps you can benefit from when searching for your next lopper.
Benefits of Buying a Lopper
– Ease of cutting. A lopper is more efficient than taking a knife or a hatchet to branches. They offer clean cuts that are simple to do and will last much longer than an uneven cut will.
– Can tackle living and dead branches. Tough, bendy green living branches and thick, hard, stubborn branches alike can all be taken care of using the right lopper.
– Pruning makes your yard look better and your trees healthier. Not only does pruning help clean up your yard and provide you with a beautiful landscape to look at every day, pruning also helps your trees and bushes breathe easier, so to speak, making sure that they are healthy and will live as long as possible.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Lopper
– Comfortable grips. Because you will be using your lopper a lot at once, you want to ensure the handles are comfortable. Think about getting a lopper with non-stick grips to ensure your hands don’t slide off, and try out an ergonomic set of handles that help you to avoid hand cramps after extended use.
– Long-lasting blade with coating. Get a lopper with a steel blade first and foremost. From there, look for loppers with blades that have a non-stick or rustproof coating. This helps to not only stop rust but to prevent sap and other dirt and grime from mucking up your blades, making them difficult to clean or rendering them useless.
– Long handles. In order to access greater heights to get those tough to reach branches, look for loppers with long handles. Some loppers come with telescoping handles that allow you to extend them to reach higher branches which is even more efficient.
Tips on How to Buy the Best Lopper for Your Needs
– Choose a lopper that has handles which will never touch to ensure you are not bruising or otherwise hurting your knuckles.
– Choose a lopper with steel blades to ensure the long lifespan of your purchase.
– Read reviews like the ones I have written below to see what real people think of the lopper you want to buy.
Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper
Top Features of the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper
Patented PowerGear Technology
Pruning bushes and trees–especially trees–can become a tiring endeavor after so long. I have to put forth exertion each time I cut, which does not feel like much at all when I begin my work, but by the end of it, my arms feel tired from having to do the same motion over and over. This is especially true regarding thick branches. The Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper features a patented PowerGear technology that multiplies the leverage of the handles, giving me three times as much power on every cut that I make, no matter how thick the branches are. Not only does it slice through the branches with greater ease, I can make each cut more comfortably than ever before. The Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper features round, ergonomic handles that come with Softgrip points that deliver ultimate comfort and a better control over the movements.
Can Handle the Thickest of Growths and Branches
Speaking of thick branches, the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper can make its way through even the most resistant branches. It does this by way of a low-friction coating that has been applied to help each blade glide against one another through the wood for a clean, smooth cut. This feature stops me from spending an unnecessary amount of time hacking away at a branch, twisting it this way and that just to get it off of the tree. This coating also prevents the build up of sap and other debris from gumming up the blades and dulling them down. By doing so, these blades also resist any sort of rust, allowing me the peace of mind that I get to use them for years to come. This is the best lopper in terms of durability, I think.
Optimized Cutting Power
The Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper comes with a patent-pending design that comes with uniquely modified gears. This lopper also features a cam mechanism that really makes a difference when it comes to optimizing my cutting power, especially right in the center of the cut. This part always exposes the thickest portion of the branch which makes it the part where I really find myself straining, so I appreciate the technology that goes into these mechanisms to make it the most efficient cut possible. The Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper is constructed out of tough steel that can handle any thickness of branch, and one of the best parts about this is that it can resist rust, too. It also possesses riveted handles which I know will provide me years and years of durability and efficient usage.
Can Cut Branches Up to 2 inches in Diameter
Finally, the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper features the ability to cut branches that measure up to an impressive two inches in diameter. Thick branches like these often feel nearly impossible to cut through as they take me a while. This is because I usually have to continuously open and close the lopper, forcing the blades to essentially gnaw at the branch until it finally breaks off which is far more effort than I want or should have to put into cutting a branch. The Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper thick, fully hardened steel blades remain sharp no matter how many thick branches I end up having to slice through, even through heavy usage through thick, unruly tree pruning.
Pros of the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper:
– Cam mechanism
– Cuts through branches up to 2 inches in diameter
– Ergonomic, rounded handles with Softgrip points
– Low-friction blade coating prevents sap, dirt and other build-up from sticking to the blades
– Modified gears
– Patented PowerGear technology with three times the cutting power
– Riveted handles
Downsides of the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper:
– Handle width. Some online reviews I have found regarding the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper state that the handles on this lopper are a bit too far apart for comfort. These reports also stated that it could make using the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper to cut branches close together a bit difficult. I did not have a similar experience. In fact, I felt that the handles on this lopper were proportionately distanced and made pruning my trees easy and comfortable. The reviewers of this lopper could possible have shorter arms, making this a subjective opinion that you should not let steer you away from using this gardening tool.
Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J)
Top Features of the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J)
Cuts Through Soft, Green Branches
One of the things that makes the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J) stand out among the other loppers of its kind is the fact that this pair of loppers are not solely intended for use on dry, semi-brittle branches. While they can and will cut through these just fine, I have noticed that slicing through green, living branches that are usually very soft in comparison feels as if I am running a hot knife through butter. This seriously impresses me because with many other loppers that I have tried to take on soft branches with, I find myself twisting and turning the blades an excessive amount to even break through the branches initially, forcing me to exert far more energy and spend far more time pruning than I would like to, especially when the weather is warm. This is the best lopper for tackling touch branches like this.
Durable Steel Blades
The reason that the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J) can take on such unique and soft branches is due in part to the ultra sharp and strong blades. The blades of this lopper are made from fully hardened steel that has been precision ground. By way of their precise construction, I am able to apply direct, smooth and efficient cuts that require very little energy in comparison to some of the other loppers I have used. This helps me spend less time in my yard taking care of unruly trees and lets me devote more time to the things I like to do. The blades on the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J) have yet to become dull even with my excessive usage, and I have a very strong feeling that these will continue to last me for years to come, even with how often I use them.
Expertly Crafted to Endure the Elements
The Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J) is also incredibly rust resistant. I no longer have to worry about waiting for the branches on my trees to dry out after it rains with concern that I might damage the blades by using them on wet wood. This means I am able to prune my trees whenever I want to, allowing me to make the most out of my time by freeing it up. The same coating that prevents rust on the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J) is responsible for its low friction gliding action, too. This coating is part of what helps the blades all but glide through the wood that I am seeing to, but this coat also prevents any sort of sap, dirt or other debris from covering my blades in hard to clean gunk, which in turn, promotes long-lasting loppers.
Large Cutting Capacity
Finally, the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J) allows me to cut some of the thickest branches on my trees. Because of its ability to handle a capacity of branches 1.5 inches in diameter, I am able to tackle most, if not all, of the branches that need pruning on my trees. Even when I am cutting these thick, 1.5 inch branches, I am not struggling to do so like I do with some of the other loppers that I have used. Even at its thickest points, the steel precision blades chop right through with ease and with little effort on my part.
Pros of the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J):
– 22-inch handles
– Can cut branches up to 1.5 inches in diameter
– Fully hardened steel blades
– Ideal for slicing through soft, green living branches with ease
– Low-friction coat ensures no sap or other debris accumulates on my blades
– Precision cut
– Rust resistant
Downsides of the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J):
– Grips are not rounded. I was looking through reviews online for the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J) and noticed a few reviewers saying that they believed that these loppers should have come with rounded handles. While I do agree that loppers with a rounded handle makes things feel a bit better in the hand, it is not a make or break for me. In fact, I found that these loppers were just as comfortable for me personally, as the loppers that come with rounded ends, so I would not let this deter you from a purchase if you are interested in the Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper (91466949J).
Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper
Top Features of the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper
Cuts Through 2-inch Branches
One of the most important things that I look for when trying to determine the best lopper for my needs is going to be what thickness of branches and growth they can cut through. When I am trimming bushes, the thickness is not so demanding, but when it comes to pruning trees, I am often left gnawing away at thick branches with loppers that just can’t stand up to the test. The Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper provides me a solution to this issue. It can cut through 2-inch branches with great ease. These are excellent for quick removal of dry, woody growths. They even work perfectly for cut-to-length work as well as preparatory cuts. The Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper has been designed for professional use, and because of this, I feel confident that these will last a long time. Thanks to the extra leverage and compound action, cutting through branches has never been easier.
Sharp Steel Blades
The blades on the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper are exceptionally sharp. They are made out of hardened carbon steel that has yet to show any sign of dulling, even after my admittedly heavy usage since I received them. Not only are these blades profoundly durable, they feature a non-stick coating that slices clean through the wood, even at its thickest portions. This low-friction coating also works hard at resisting rust and keeping away sap and other grime from clogging up on the blade and making them difficult to clean and to use. With its compound mechanism, the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper is terrifically simple to use, even if you have pained or arthritic wrists, I’m learning.
Powerful and Durable
Alongside the protective action of the non-stick, low-friction coating on the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper is the fact that they give not only a smooth cut every time, but a sharper cut. This means that I don’t have to go back to the same branch in a short amount of time to prune it again because the sharpness of the blade makes the cut last longer. The compound action I have mentioned also helps with this. It has several moving parts that multiply the force of the blades exponentially, delivering three times the cutting power with the same amount of exertion.
Finally, the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper has been designed with comfort in mind. It features rubberized grips that are not only comfortable but provide me with a solid grip that I know will not slip from my hands during use. The grips are even contoured and breathable to fit into my hands well. The handles measure 30 inches in length, giving me plenty of leverage and strength in order to effectively remove higher limbs instead of struggling due to the angle I am at. These handles also never touch so I don’t have to worry about bashing my knuckles together painfully while I am pruning. The comfort that is given to me by the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper lets me feel good enough to continue my work until it is finished instead of having to take frequent breaks due to hand cramps and other pains that pruning sometimes causes me.
Pros of the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper:
– 30-inch handles that do not touch
– Can cut through branches up to 2 inches in diameter
– Compound action with multiple parts that move
– Ergonomic, contoured handles
– Low-friction, non-stick coating makes clean cuts and resists debris and sap
– Non-slip rubberized grips
– Perfect for dry, woody growths
– Perfect for higher branches
– Three times the cutting power of typical loppers
Downsides of the Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper:
– Price. The Tabor Tools GG12 Professional Compound Action Anvil Lopper is the second most expensive lopper on this list, but it is definitely one of the best as well. This lopper comes with a compound mechanism that makes cutting sharp cuts simple and efficient. It has a non-stick, low-friction coating that stops the blades from becoming covered in debris which in turn helps these steel blades last for longer, ensuring a high quality investment. This might be the best lopper for the money.
Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers
Top Features of the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers
The Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers features a unique ratchet mechanism that is not found in many other loppers that I have tried. The ratchet design used here provides a clean, swift motion that provides a bit more power than my own manual efforts. This assists me in making easier cutting motions, especially when I want to make short, clean slices through dense branches. Because of the ratchet motion, the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers is ideal for taking down branches that are extremely hard and thick. Taking on my more resistant, stubborn branches is a breeze thanks to these loppers.
Sharp and Strong
The Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers features an ultra sharp upper blade. The blade is made out of SK5 carbon steel, popular for its sharpness. The sharpness that is attributed to these blades is a sharpness that will not dull out easily. I have tested the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers over and over again on some of my most trying branches and have yet to feel or see any sort of dulling in the blades, even after all of this time. This is especially impressive considering that this lopper can take on branches that have a 2.5-inch diameter, which is bigger than any of the other loppers that I have reviewed so far. There really is not a branch that this lopper cannot touch. Because of this, I would say this is the best lopper for seriously tough jobs such as taking down dense thickets.
Another wonderful thing about the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers is that it is able to resist any rusting of the blade. This is due to the PTFE coating that is found on the blade itself. This gives me peace of mind that I do not have to concern myself with going out and cutting branches after it has rained. Usually I would fear that the gradual exposure to water and moisture would eventually rust them, but I don’t have that worry with the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers. I have even accidentally left them outside and uncovered on accident after a long and tiring day of yard work a few times and have yet to experience any rust which is impressive.
Finally, I want to talk about the arms of the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers. They are uniquely designed and offer a number of helpful features. First, they are made out of lightweight, yet durable and strong telescopic aluminum handles. When at their standard length, these arms measure a comfortable 18 inches. When they are extended in order to take on higher branches, they can almost double in length, reaching heights of 31.5 inches. The ends of these handles have soft, non-slip grips that will never fall loose from my hands. When I am done with them, I can engage the locking catch to ensure that I am storing them safely and will not accidentally cut someone or something that stumbles upon them.
Pros of the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers:
– 18 inches standard length; 31.5 inches extended
– Blade made from SK5 carbon steel
– Ideal for thick, stubborn branches up to an impressive 2.5 inches in diameter
– Lightweight telescopic handles
– Locking catch
– Perfect for high branches
– Perfect for making short cuts
– Ratchet power for smoother cuts with less physical exertion
– Rust-resistant PTFE coating
– Soft, non-slip grips
Downsides of the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers:
– Weight. Some of the online reviews of the Spear & Jackson 8290RS Razorsharp Heavy Duty Telescopic Ratchet Anvil Loppers state that they found the weight uncomfortable. Personally, I found that these loppers provided me with the perfect weight for a solid hold. They weigh a mere 4.6 pounds, providing just enough additional force in order to help me get the job done.
Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper
Top Features of the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper
Even though I do enjoy gardening and landscaping my property thoroughly, there are some days where I do not feel up to completing the work that needs to be done–especially during the sweltering heat of the summer. I want loppers that can make quick work of my pruning so that I can see to other aspects of my property or simply take a rest out of the exhausting sun. The Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper allows me to do just that with its precise, swift precision blade. I am able to cut and remove dry, touch woody growth and make my way through thickets with the utmost of ease, leaving me with plenty of free time to see to other duties or hobbies.
Large Cutting Capacity
The Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper also features a nice, large cutting capacity. I am able to tackle branches and other growths up to 2 inches in diameter which is perfect for handling most branches on my trees that need pruned or removed. Even at the thickest parts of the branches in question, the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper cuts right through them with barely any manual effort on my end, which saves me a lot of energy that I can then direct to the other parts of my property that needs attention.
Durable, Long Handles
The handles on the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper are made from strong fiberglass. The fiberglass delivers plenty of leverage and loads of extra strength, ensuring that I am not exerting more force than is necessary to get the job done which makes pruning a more pleasant experience overall. This fiberglass composition also resists any sort of weathering overtime, making me feel confident that my purchase will last for years and years to come. The handles featured on the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper also measure 24 inches in length which is a nice, comfortable size. On these handles are 12-inch long non-stick foam grips that ensure that no matter where I am grabbing onto the handles, I don’t have to worry about my hands slipping off of the comfortable foam.
Intended for Professional Use
Another thing that gives me peace of mind that the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper will stand the test of time is the fact that they have been designed and manufactured with professional grade usage in mind. This device is intended for professional landscapers who need heavy-duty tools, so I know I am using the best of the best when it comes to my choice in loppers. Part of the reason they are so strong and ready for professional applications is due to the fact that the lopper comes with an articulating, four bar compound linkage. This compound mechanism actually triples the cutting action power of these loppers when compared to other standard pairs.
Sharpen-able Coated Blades
Finally, the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper features blades that are able to be sharpened in the event that they ever become dull. I don’t see this happening for quite some time, as I have really put these loppers through the wringer and have yet to notice any dulling, even with my excessive use. The blade on this lopper is made from high-carbon steel that can stand the test of time. The blade has been given a coating that protects it from collecting sap and debris.
Pros of the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper:
– 12-inch foam, non-slip grips
– Arms measure 24 inches
– Articulating four bar compound linkage
– Blade made from coated, high-carbon steel
– Can be resharpened
– Cuts branches up to 2 inches in diameter
– Manufactured for professional applications
– Perfect for hard to cut branches and thickets
– Swift precision blades
– Weather-resistant fiberglass arms
Downsides of the Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper:
– Weight. The Corona FL 3420 Compound Action Anvil Lopper is another example of a reviewer who states that this lopper is heavier than they would prefer. Again, I like a lopper that has a bit of weight to it as I am able to provide just a little extra force with that weight to complete any job. Considering they only weigh four pounds, don’t let this throw you off from a purchase. This earns the title of best lopper for the money.
Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes
Top Features of the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes
Optimized and Balanced Design
The Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes has clearly been created with the most efficient and comfortable use in mind. It has a light weight to it that makes it easy to use for long periods of time without getting tired. That said, just because they have crafted this lopper to be lightweight does not mean that they have shorted the amount of power it can produce. The Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes cuts through thick centers and bases of branches smoothly and efficiently. To top it off, this lopper has an incredibly sleek appearance that just looks great hanging in my shed with my other gardening and landscaping tools.
The light weight of the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes is great for allowing me to work long periods of time without feeling fatigued. Its weight, which is only 1.6 ounces–the lightest of its kind–also makes for easy overhead usage when I need to hold it up for a while in order to get at some higher branches. Though the handles on the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes are ultra light, they are incredibly strong and have stood up to the test time and time again. They are made out of durable aluminum that is sure to outlast many years of usage.
Smooth Cutting Action
The Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes features precision, hardened steel blades. These blades work tirelessly to cut through any sort of woody growth, no matter how thick the branches or how dense the thickets. I have yet to meet a bush or tree that the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes cannot handle. Every branch I cut is cut clean down the middle with a smooth cutting action that never leaves my hands and arms aching afterward. The handles never touch, either, so I don’t have to worry about injuring my knuckles by using a lot of force.
2-inch Cutting Diameter
The Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes is also able to handle any sort of thick branch that measures up to 2 inches in diameter, which is an impressive number when considering how utterly lightweight these loppers are. No matter if I am cutting the branches head on or am having to lean up and extend my arms, leaving me unable to exert proper manual force, the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes still cuts these thick branches with ease.
Micrometric Head Adjustment
Finally, the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes boasts a micrometric head adjustment system. This adjustment feature allows me to adjust the cutting blades precisely to my liking. With the blades in an optimized position, I am able to make more efficient use of my time by getting cleaner, more effective cuts on thick, stubborn branches than ever before.
Pros of the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes:
– Cleanly and smoothly cuts branches up to 2 inches in diameter
– Lightweight aluminum arms weigh only 1.6 ounces
– Micrometric head adjustment system for optimized, customized blade placement
– Precision, hardened steel blades
– Sleek design
Downsides of the Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes:
– Price. The Felco 200 A Straight Cutting Head Expert Loppers with Aluminum Tubes is definitely the most expensive lopper on the list, but do not let that throw you off. These loppers offer an incredibly lightweight design that allows me to go for hours if I need to without all of the fatigue that traditional loppers give me. They are powerful and durable despite their 1.6-ounce aluminum design and come with a micrometric head adjustment system that lets me pick the way the blades sit. The hardened precision steel blades have yet to dull even after heavy use, and on top of everything, these loppers just look great in action. They are definitely worth the price.
I have picked the Fiskars 32 Inch PowerGear2 Lopper as the winner of this round up for a few reasons. This lopper has a patented PowerGear technology that gives me three times more power and leverage than standard loppers. The patent-pending design of this lopper comes with a cam mechanism and modified gears that provide great cutting power in the center of the branch where it is the thickest. It can cut branches up to 2 inches thick, making this the perfect lopper for those who need a heavy-duty way to prune their properties.